This recipe is quite simple to make, and it’s vegan and nut & gluten-free without sacrificing anything in the taste department! The natural sweetness of the raspberries balances the natural bitterness of the cacao. If you can’t find 100% cacao paste (not cacao/cocoa powder – that has actually had the cacao butter removed from it), then you can substitute a high quality dark chocolate instead. The higher the percentage, the better! Not all cacao is created equal. It’s estimated that less than 5% of the cacao being grown in the world is grown for flavor. How cacao has been fermented and roasted has a significant affect on its flavor, as well.
Thank you to Jyl Kutsche, one of our senior Prajna Yoga Teachers and cocoa connoisseur. We love you and thank you for this beautiful recipe.
You can find yoga and more cacao & chocolate resources from Jyl on her website HERE. Enjoy!
1 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
6 pitted medjool dates (soak for at least an hour)
4 tbsp tahini
2 tbsp coconut oil
pinch of sea salt
1 cup coconut butter
1/2 cup cacao paste or dark chocolate (70% or higher)
2 tbsp maple syrup
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 cup raspberries (frozen or fresh, just allow time to thaw if using frozen)
- Line 7″square dish or pie plate with parchment paper.
- Place sunflower seeds into a food processor or high speed blender and pulse few times until coarsely ground. Add the rest of the crust ingredients and blend until the mixture comes together. Spoon the mix into the dish, spread evenly onto the base and press tightly down. Set aside.
- Blend raspberries in food processor until smooth. Stir in lemon juice.
- Over low heat, gently melt raw coconut butter. Stir in the dark chocolate. Stir in maple syrup.
- Remove from heat. Stir in raspberries until mixture is smooth.
- Pour onto the crust layer and tilt dish or plate until even distributed.
- Place into a fridge for about 30 min to set.
- Place into the fridge for about 15 minutes only until set. (If you leave it too long the top might crack.)
- Top with more berries, edible flowers, cacao nibs or whatever will bring a smile to Mom’s face.
- Store in a fridge in an airtight container.